This
is one of the first things I ever picked up that was at 78 revolutions
per minute. It brought me so much joy to listen to (once I bought the
proper cartridge), and really expanded my view of the tangibility of
recorded media. I could hold history in my hand, and now, can share it
with whomever I desire.
As for what this record actually is, I'll let the WKU Libraries blog explain its provenance best:
This
"letter on a record" is of 10-year-old Cub Scout Bill Dunlap that I
believe could be 1943, but really could be any time during the USO's
WWII tenure. On both sides, he sings "The U.S. Air Force" song, as well
as his very own Den 7's theme. It's definitely adorable, and there's a
fair amount of interesting things about this. There's a point in which
he whistles for a dog, a person tells him to sing lower, and he also
recites the of-the-era cub motto.
I've begun to upload my
transfers to YouTube, and that includes both sides of this one! I've
embedded it below, and I plan on uploading most of my unique (foreign, acetate, flexi, etc.) records
there. I also updated my first & previous post to include the link
to the video transfer, rather than an audio link. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment